Friday, May 25, 2007

The press sensationalises everything

So I read today that an Orangutan had escaped from it's cage at a zoo in Taiwan and was wrecking up the place. It sounded really exciting with claims that "it picked up and threw a motorbike" and "ran about in a riotous fashion".
So obviously I wanted to said exciting Orangutan shenanigans and this is what I saw:



Running about!? It's moseying about at best (or strolling about at worst) and a motorcycle was thrown? More like a scooter was pushed over.

It just find it depressing that my hopes were built up, and then dashed, by someone who just obviously doesn't appreciate the comedy and excitement that a riotous monkey relative can cause.
I mean I understand that when you're reporting you have to try to make the event interesting but surely for the majority of people the single line description of Orangutan escapes cage and dosses about would have been enough to get people engaged. Then I wouldn't have been so disappointed with the relatively mundane monkey outcome (alright I know it's not a monkey but I fancied some alliteration).

Anyway I'm off to watch Dunston checks in or Every which way but loose. Now those Orangutans knew how to be funny.

No comments: