Wednesday, June 07, 2006

How I met your very average sitcom

There is this American sitcom that has started recently called How I Met Your Mother. And the thing is I really want to like it - but I can't because it is absolute shite.
I mean it's not Everbody loves Raymond (ironic title as everyone I speak to seems to hate the guy) bad but it is still pretty piss poor.

I mean there's alot of stuff about How I Met Your Mother that falls in its favour
A) An interesting premise (a guy in the future is telling his kids how he met their mother then each episode (in our present) he tries it on with a girl and fails miserably).
B) The lead guy Ted is a confused but excellent man some what similar to JD from Scrubs.
C) Alyson Hannigan (the nerds favourite thanks to Buffy) is in it (I met her she truly is funny and fit).
D) It has scored highly on TV.com somewhere in the 9.0 region

But I just can't seem to find it amusing. The jokes are obvious the situations themselves un- funny. Occasionally I think that would've been good if they'd written that differently and once I laughed pre emptively thinking there was going to be a hilhaious line that never materialised.

So you've probably read this and thought I'm never going to watch it again - you sir (or madam no sexism here) are grossly mistaken I'm going to watch this show until I find something funny in it. I've re read all the plus points I wrote about this show and I am convinced there is some hidden humour/message in it that I haven't seen - how else would it have scored 9.0 on tv.com?


(above) See this is the shows main publicity photo



(above) In this one they want to be the new "Friends." Well they can't as the scripts aren't funny enough and they haven't been on long enough for one of them to develop a hilharious ballooning weight /cough medicine addiction problem like Matthew Perry had.



(above) This unfortunately is not a publicity photo. This is a shot of the lovely (unfortunately married) Alyson Hannigan which I show you to remind you that everything has a plus point.

1 comment:

Mer Ner said...

Matthew Perry is a legend!!!