Monday, April 16, 2007

Any respect I now have for Avril Lavigne is BECAUSE of Girlfriend

Here is more proof if needed that the current Avril Lavigne single (Girlfriend)is absolutely brilliant. Music is supposed to be a subjective and this has been proved by the fact that I have a friend who has a completely different musical taste to me. It is almost the case that anything I love he will hate and vice versa (obviously there are small exceptions to this).
However with the single Girlfriend both of us are really really into it. So I left him this message on his facebook wall:

"Ok check this facebook group:
Any Respect I Ever Had for Avril Lavigne is Now Lost Because of Girlfriend"
Ok so by enjoying that song does this mean we're weird and child like when we enjoy the cheap guitar licks and uninspiring drum rhythms coupled with the lyrics of a simplistic pre teen. Or does this mean we're adult and cool because we have seen and ignored her faux musings on love and relationships and instead embraced the bubble gum pop nuances of her 1st self penned single in these her early years of post matrimony?

You decide."

To which he replied

"I've spent a lot of time trying to work out why I love this song so much.

This is possibly because I'm in the library so much and going mad.

I do, however, think that it is genuine pop genius, and heir to a long line of heartbroken bravado in pop music. There's none of the bollocksy emoting of the previous stuff: if you looked at the lyrics on paper then they're basically desperately sad and insecure, but they're dressed up - like much good pop - in incredible bluster.

I think most immediately of Kelly Clarkson, but before that Talulah Gosh, even The Blue Nile, right back to motown stuff and the Shangri-Las. Also, the chord progressions shamelessly bite
'You Can Make Him Like You' by The Hold Steady, and that can only be a good thing.

All this proves that most people are idiots and can't identify good pop when it is pounding them in the face: also, some fucking wank rock group will probably do a ballady acoustic version for the FUCKING live lounge and completely...
...miss the point."

His reply was infact so long that it filled the entire Facebook character limit and he had to make two posts.

So there you go it "proves" Girlfriend is brilliant and more importantly has temporarily united mine and my friends musical tastes. Thus making me happy.

No comments: